Letters from C.E. Moreland,
15508 Saranac Dr., Whittier, CA 90604
From a letter dated 4-23-99, “William [MORELAND] was in the Wayne Co., Kentucky tax records as early as 1821. I could not find any record of Dudley or John in the tax records until 1825 but I believe they were there because all the depositions by Dudley, John and Elizabeth placed them in Wayne County by 1821-1822. William bought the land (the 90 acres he later sold to John in 1824) on September 23, 1822 from Richard SUMMERS and his wife “Sary”. He must have left for Indiana shortly after as I did not find him in the Wayne County tax records after 1824. . . The Reuben COFFEY who was in Wayne County at the same time as William MORELAND and his wife Temperance COFFEY was not Temperance’s father, but her uncle. The other Reuben COFFEY (Temperance’s father) had already left Carter Co., Tennessee for Indiana and were later joined there by William and Temperance. . . A very important question to be answered is did Charles MORELAND ever actually have a son named William? Was the William that Melba [Hutchinson] placed in Charles’ family group actually Dudley’s son?”
From a letter dated 7-2-99, “. . . you enclosed a copy of a recording of the sale of land in Wayne County, Kentucky by William and Temperance MORELAND to John MORELAND and witnessed by Dudley MORELAND on 21 October 1824. This was a big surprise to me, to say the least, because Temperance (my great-great-grandmother) had stated in a pension claim that she and William had gone directly from Carter Co., Tennessee to Indiana. She did not mention that they had spent some 5 to 6 years in Wayne Co., Kentucky living in proximity to Dudley and John MORELAND on Beaver Creek. That was the reason I spent little time researching Wayne County, Kentucky. I have come to the conclusion that I “jumped the gun” and was wrong in naming Charles MORELAND as the father of my William and that Charles’ brother Dudley is surely his father instead. I have changed my records accordingly. . .
“We know from depositions made by Dudley, his wife Elizabeth, his son John and Temperance COFFEY MORELAND that they were all together in Carter Co., Tennessee until 1821 or 1822 at which time Dudley and John moved to Wayne Co., Kentucky. Carter Co., Tennessee court records show William was still in Carter [County] in May 1820. By the spring of 1822 William was on the tax rolls of Wayne Co., Kentucky. That same year he purchased 90 acres there on Beaver Creek and in 1824 she sold this 90 acres to his brother, John, which is the transaction referred to in paragraph 1. . .
“William left Wayne Co., Kentucky some time after 1825 and we know he was in Indiana living close to his COFFEY in-laws by 1828. William died in Indiana in 1841 and the clincher to me is the deposition made by his brother John in September 1846 in which he named all of his living brothers and sisters and added that ‘William MORELAND now deceased was also a child of his mother and father.’ John’s parents were Dudley MORELAND and Elizabeth MORELAND of course. Note that William and Temperance named their second daughter Elizabeth.
“I also spent some time going over the Carter Co., Tennessee records again . . . in order to try and account for the many William MORELANDs that were there at that time. There was William, son of William, William, son of Thomas and William, son of Dudley, not to mention William Sr. and William Jr. who claimed pensions for War of 1812 service. Junior was the son of Thomas and Senior, I am pretty sure was the son of William Senior. Nowhere did I find any indication that Charles MORELAND had a son named William. So why did I decide that Charles was my third great-grandfather? Mainly it was the court item of May 5, 1820 in which Charles went bail for my William. This now appears to have been only an uncle (who frequently went bond for others) doing a favor for a nephew. I apologize for any inconvenience this error may have caused.”
1850 Clinton Co., Kentucky Census
# 171. MORELAND, John, 60 m, Virginia; Elizabeth, 30 f, Kentucky; Mary A, 3 f, Kentucky; Lucy H, 9/12 f, Kentucky
1860 Clinton Co., Kentucky Census
Jesse D. Moreland of Goochland Co., Virginia, Oldham and Trimble Co., Kentucky
by Bill Williamson, 12649 Mayflower Dr., Nevada City, CA 95959-9621
Douglas Register, page 255, born 18 June 1777 Goochland Co., Virginia, parents John MORELAND and Ann OGILVY. John and Ann married 16 November 1775. Ann recorded as OGILSVY in the male and female lists.
Richard OBILSBY married Sarah FERGUSON 17 December 1756 Goochland Co., Virginia. How do we know Ann OGILSVY the wife of John MORELAND was the daughter of Richard and Sarah? AFN 15HF-908 for Richard lists as their daughter Ann 16MQ-NP7. I have written to the authoress of this file without response. In this file William, their son, and sister to Ann appears in Jefferson Co., Kentucky as do others of Richard, including Joseph. Three of Richard’s sons settled in Oldham Co., Kentucky: William, Washington, Jacob and probably more.
Rootsweb Tax Records of Amherst Co., Virginia Lists 1783
Heads of Families, Amherst Co., Virginia 17
The bride index for Amherst Co., Virginia lists
BAIN, Matilda m MOLAND, Jesse 25 December 1793
See IGI File; Film #1760778 and Family Tree Maker CD #4. The groom index is missing the M’s.
Jesse MOORELAND’s will in Trimble Co., Kentucky leaves property to his “beloved wife, Matilda.” She is otherwise unidentified at this time.
Nona Williams: Jesse MORELAND appears on the tax list in Goochland Co., Virginia in 1797. The name appears as Jesse MORELAND, not Jesse O. MORELAND.
AIS 1800: John MORELAND Shelby Co., Kentucky tax
AIS 1810: John MORELAND, single male household age 26-45. Also William and Susannah MORELAND
AIS 1820: John MORELAND (171), William (118), Enos (117), William and Washington OBELSBY p 156. Eli OGELSBY 156. Shelby City, Shelby Co., Kentucky.
Film 0482412. 1827 Jesse MORELAND a grantee in Oldham Co., Kentucky index
1830 Jesse MORELAND a grantee in Oldham Co., Kentucky Book 1, 1825-1867
AIS 1830 Jesse MORELAND page 297 Oldham Co., Kentucky
John MORELAND page 295 Oldham Co., Kentucky
William MORELAND page 294 Oldham Co., Kentucky
Ellis OGELSBY page 263 Oldham Co., Kentucky
Joseph OBELSBY page 261 Oldham Co., Kentucky
Washington OBELSBY page 273 Oldham Co., Kentucky
Willis OGELSBY page 283 Oldham Co., Kentucky
1840 Jesse MORELAND 70-80 years in Trimble Co., Kentucky
Jesse MORELAND Jr.
Walter A. MORELAND
Film 0420373. January 1844 in Will Book #1, 1837-1875 Trimble Co., Kentucky: Jesse MOORELAND’s will filed. Names wife Matilda, daughters Hannah HUNTER, Manda CHASE, Lucinda CURD, ____ JACKSON, Malinda CONDITT, Elizabeth CURD. Sons: Anderson, Jesse W., Preston.
Film 0803397 1860 census Jesse and Matilda do not appear
Film #0442988 1850 Matilda MORELAND age 72 born Virginia page 392, John MORELAND age 55 born Virginia page 412.
Will Record of Jesse and Matilda MOORLAND filed 1844 as above. Recorded 1 September 1847 Trimble Co., Kentucky Court Orders p. 481 Book #1. 11 October 1855 appraisal of Matilda and Jesse MORELAND estate ordered, book 2 Trimble County, Kentucky court.
FTM Vol. 2 #3965 lists as children of John MORELAND: John, Jesse, Edward (Stewart Co., Tennessee), William. Further connects to parents Wright MORELAND and wife Ann WILSON. She had some documentation but cited none for this family. Melba Hutchinson, Lodi, California, deceased.
The OGELSBY family can best be followed through Goochland County and Amherst County, Virginia and Jefferson Co., Kentucky. See Ancestral Files 16 MQ-DHL, 15HF-908, 16MQ-K68, compiler has not answered inquiry (September 1999).
Research of Reba Newell, 2931 Persimmon Dr., Saint Charles, MO 63301-0128
I’m interested in Jesse MORELAND, son of John and Ann. No deed records in Goochland County for either. Where did they go? Not on 1787 Virginia tax list.
My Jesse MORELAND appears in Henry Co., Kentucky in 1814 when he purchased land on the Little Kentucky River. He remained there until his death.
Several Goochland Co., Virginia families came to that area of Kentucky that is now Trimble County. The CURD and HANCOCK families were from Goochland Co., Virginia. Probably some JACKSONs.
A John MORELAND was also in Shelby Co., Kentucky 1810, 1820, 1830. Henry County was created from Shelby County.
All my Kentucky ancestors came from Virginia. William MORELAND born Charles Co., Maryland, lived in Woodstock, Shenandoah Co., Virginia, removed to Henry Co., Kentucky by 1812. A son, William, remained in Shenandoah Co., Virginia.
The 1830 census of Kentucky is the only clue I have to Jesse’s age. They skipped him on the 1820 census index. He is older than Jesse O. MORELAND of Goochland, but I’m not sure his age is correct. I’d like to know where John and Ann and son Jesse O. went from Goochland Co., Virginia.
Jesse D. MORELAND born 1760-1770 Virginia; died 13 September 1847 Trimble Co., Kentucky; married Matilda born 1778 Virginia; died 1858 Bedford, Trimble Co., Kentucky. Their children were:
1. Seany MORELAND born 1795 Maryland; died 1847-1850 Trimble Co., Kentucky; married 12 October 1815 Henry Co., Kentucky to John D. MORELAND.
2. Hannah MORELAND born 1816 Henry Co., Kentucky; died before 1839 Trimble Co., Kentucky; married 12-11-1828 Oldham Co., Kentucky to Burton HUNTER.
3. Maria MORELAND married Mr. CHASE.
4. Matilda MORELAND married 20 December 1817 Henry Co., Kentucky to Willie G. CONDUIT, went to Morgan Co., Indiana before 1850.
5. Elizabeth MORELAND born 3 November 1808 Kentucky; died 19 November 1888 Marion Co., Indiana; married 4-22-1830 Oldham Co., Kentucky to Wm. CURD, moved to Indiana in 1849.
6. Preston MORELAND born 1811 Kentucky; married 2-14-1837 Oldham Co., Kentucky to Franics SANDIFER and married 2 May 1858 to Martha A. WILLIAMS.
7. Lucinda MORELAND born 1816 Henry Co., Kentucky; married 14 October 1837 Trimble Co., Kentucky; moved to Stoddard Co., Missouri in 1859.
8. Jesse W. MORELAND married 4-9-1838 Trimble Co., Kentucky to Orpha STAUNTON, she died September 1856
9. William Anderson MORELAND born 1820 Henry Co., Kentucky; married 11-16-1846 Trimble Co., Kentucky to Martha YOUNG.
10. Thomas W. MORELAND born 1825 Trimble Co., Kentucky married to Mary.
Sources: Henry Co., Kentucky Marriages. Jesse D. and William MORELAND both signed the marriage certificate of Seany (Jeany?) to John D. MORELAND. Jesse as father of Seany, William signed as father of John D. MORELAND. All of them of Henry Co., Kentucky.
William and Jesse each left a legacy to Lucinda, daughter of John D. and Seany. Lucinda is my great-great grandmother. William MORELAND was from Shenandoah Co., Virginia.
Seany’s son, Daniel, gave Virginia as the birthplace of his father and Maryland as the birthplace of Seany, when he applied for a license to marry in Trimble Co., Kentucky.
The family group of Seany’s husband John D. MORELAND is as follows:
William MORELAND born Charles Co., Maryland; died 16 October 1826 Milton, Oldham Co., Kentucky (now Trimble Co., Kentucky); married Priscilla BOSWELL (daughter of Mathew Catherine BOSWELL) born Charles Co., Maryland. They also resided in Shenandoah Co., Virginia. Their children were:
1. Lady Anne Bradley MORELAND born 1 September 1788; married May 1807 Woodstock, Shenandoah Co., Virginia to Daniel TROUT.
2. Martha (Patsy) MORELAND born 3 September 1790 Woodstock, Shenandoah Co., Virginia; died 21 February 1871 Milton, Trimble Co., Kentucky; married 2 January 1814 Henry Co., Kentucky to Washington FLOYD.
3. William MORELAND born 12 August 1793 Woodstock, Shenandoah Co., Virginia; died 4 April 1863 Shenandoah Co., Virginia; married first to Jessie TROUT, married second to Margaret O.
4. John D. MORELAND born 6 March 1796 Woodstock, Shenandoah Co., Virginia; died 11 May 1876 Milton, Trimble Co., Kentucky; married 12 October 1815 Henry Co., Kentucky to Seany MORELAND.
5. Elizabeth B. MORELAND born 1796 Woodstock, Shenandoah Co., Virginia; died 27 April 1855 Trimble Co., Kentucky; married to Matthew MADDOX.
Note from Nona: I have a chart in my files that was compiled by Stanley Dalton, 409 Carter Ave., Harriman, TN 37748 in 1982. On his chart he shows Martha MORELAND born 3 September 1790; died 21 February 1871; married 2 January 1814 to George Washington FLOYD born ca. 1793; died 19 October 1852.
The parents of Martha MORELAND were shown as William MORELAND III who died 1826 Henry Co., Kentucky and Mary HAYS.
William’s ancestry was given as William MORELAND Jr. died 1777, William MORELAND Sr. 1718-1760, Jacob MORELAND Jr. died ca. 1743, Col. Jacob MORELAND Sr. died ca. 1701.
John Moreland and Ann Ogilvy
Compiled by Nona Williams, PO Box 3793, Santa Cruz, CA 95065, email: email@example.com
1. John4 MORELAND (WRIGHT3, MATTHEW2, JOHN1)1 was born ca. 1755 probably in Hanover Co, Virginia, and died after 18122. He married Ann OGILVY 16 November 1775 in Goochland Co., Virginia3.
Notes for John MORELAND:
John MORELAND didn't appear on the tax lists of Goochland County between 1782-1800 but in 1797 Jesse, his son, became age 21 and Jesse appeared on the list with 1 white poll and 2 slaves.
Per Lousie Stracener Payne, John MORELAND, wife Ann and a Jesse MORELAND were all in Jefferson Co., Georgia in 1802. John was on a jury there in 1797, however, a John MORELAND was in Goochland County in 17 July 1811 when he acted as attorney for Thomas MORELAND, in the sale of land and John was involved in a lawsuit between the heirs of Wright MORELAND.
Miscellaneous records that might include John MORELAND:
LDS film #847,619: William MARLIN of Davidson Co., Tennessee sold for $180 to John MARLIN of Carter Co., Tennessee a Negro girl named Sarah, the daughter of a Negro woman named Fillis. 27 November 1798. Signed by Wm. MARLIN Senr. and witnessed by Zach__? MARLIN and Wm. MARLIN Jr. Recorded May 28, 1799, proven by William MARLIN Jr. I’m not sure whether these were MORELANDs?
Burke Co., North Carolina, Volume II page 153: John MORELAND, enemies cited to court in 1782.
Greene Co., Tennessee tax list 1805: Jonathan MORELAND
More about John MORELAND:
Census: 1830, Smith Co., Tennessee, which John MORELAND is this?
Court Records: 17 June 1811, Goochland Co., Virginia4
Moved: Before 16 September 18115
Child of John MORELAND and Ann OGILVY is:
i. Jesse Ogilvy5 MORELAND6, b. 18 June 1777, Goochland Co., Virginia7.
More About Jesse Ogilvy MORELAND:
Baptism: 17 August 1777, Goochland Co., Virginia8
Occupation: Smith Co., Tennessee9
Tax List: 19 June 1797, Goochland Co., Virginia10.
1. Goochland Co., Virginia Court Records, (Roll # 031,683), p. 456, Sally MORELAND, widow and relict of Wright MORELAND, deceased, Charley MORELAND, Dudley MORELAND, Major HANCOCKE and Mary his wife and Meshack HICKS and Elizabeth his wife which said Charles, Dudely, Mary and Elizabeth are children and distributees of Wright MORELAND plaintiffs against Thomas MORELAND, John MORELAND, Joel RYAN and Lucy, his wife, William, Sally, Nancy, Polly, Wright & John MORELAND infant children of William MORELAND, deceased and Sally MORELAND, widow and relict of said William MORELAND, deceased, and which said Thomas MORELAND, John MORELAND and Lucy RYAN are children and with the children of William MORELAND, deceased, who was the son of the said Wright are all distributees of the said Wright MORELAND, deceased. The defendants were not residents of the state of Virginia.
2. He was mentioned in the lawsuit of the heirs of Wright MORELAND.
3. W. Mac Jones, editor, Douglas Register, (Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co.; 1966), 35, John and Ann OGILVSY, both of ys parish 1775, Nov: 16 p. 16.
4. Goochland Co., Virginia Court Records, (Roll # 031,683), p. 129, A deed from John MORELAND, lawful attorney of Thomas MORELAND, to Alexander FOWLER was presented in court and proved by the oath of Joshua CLEMENT and William BAUGH to be the act and deed of the said John MORELAND.
5. Goochland Co., Virginia Court Records, (Roll # 031,683), p. 456, Sally MORELAND, widow and relict of Wright MORELAND, deceased, Charley MORELAND, Dudley MORELAND, Major HANCOCKE and Mary his wife and Meshack HICKS and Elizabeth his wife which said Charles, Dudely, Mary and Elizabeth are children and distributees of Wright MORELAND plaintiffs against Thomas MORELAND, John MORELAND, Joel RYAN and Lucy, his wife, William, Sally, Nancy, Polly, Wright & John MORELAND infant children of William MORELAND, deceased and Sally MORELAND, widow and relict of said William MORELAND, deceased, and which said Thomas MORELAND, John MORELAND and Lucy RYAN are children and with the children of William MORELAND, deceased, who was the son of the said Wright are all distributees of the said Wright MORELAND, deceased. The defendants were not residents of the state of Virginia.
6. W. Mac Jones, editor, Douglas Register, (Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co.; 1966), p. 255, John MORELAND and Ann OGILVY a son named Jesse: Ogilvy born June 18, 1777 p. 102.
7. W. Mac Jones, editor, Douglas Register, (Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co.; 1966).
8. W. Mac Jones, editor, Douglas Register, (Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co.; 1966), p. 255.
9. Worth S. Ray, Tennessee Cousins, a Jesse MORELAND was an early Smith Co., Tennessee pioneer minister.
10. Goochland Co., Virginia Tax Lists, (LDS film # 029296), John does not appear on the Goochland tax lists between the years 1782-1800 but Jesse appears on the list in 1797. Perhaps Jesse's parents had died and relatives raised him? When he first appeared he had two slaves.